It is recommended for Administrators to send out a company email to warn about a large increase in W-2 phishing attacks going on. The FBI and IRS have released several warnings that this has seen a significant increase this year.
In very dangerous cases the attacker has targeted company CEO's and spoofed their email address to solicit the important documents from employees.
Some steps that can help protect you against possible damage are:
* Verify over the phone before giving anyone confidential documents. Use encryption.
* Be careful with any attachments or links you click in email.
* Be cautious and think twice, social engineering is a serious threat.
* File your taxes as soon as possible before any false claims can be made.
* Research filing a form 14039 with the government.
Find more information here from Microsoft: