Noticed on Windows Server 2012 R2 the following event ID 1202 which keeps showing up every ~30 minutes when Group Policy updates. 

Event ID: 1202

Source: SceCli

Security policies were propagated with warning. 0x534 : No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.

Advanced help for this problem is available on Query for "troubleshooting 1202 events".

Error 0x534 occurs when a user account in one or more Group Policy objects (GPOs) could not be resolved to a SID.  This error is possibly caused by a mistyped or deleted user account referenced in either the User Rights or Restricted Groups branch of a GPO.  To resolve this event, contact an administrator in the domain to perform the following actions:

1.             Identify accounts that could not be resolved to a SID:

From the command prompt, type: FIND /I "Cannot find"  %SYSTEMROOT%\Security\Logs\winlogon.log

The string following "Cannot find" in the FIND output identifies the problem account names.

Example: Cannot find JohnDough.


In this case, the SID for username "JohnDough" could not be determined. This most likely occurs because the account was deleted, renamed, or is spelled differently (e.g. "JohnDoe").

2.             Use RSoP to identify the specific User Rights, Restricted Groups, and Source GPOs that contain the problem accounts:

a.             Start -> Run -> RSoP.msc

b.             Review the results for Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment and Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Restricted Groups for any errors flagged with a red X.

c.              For any User Right or Restricted Group marked with a red X, the corresponding GPO that contains the problem policy setting is listed under the column entitled "Source GPO". Note the specific User Rights, Restricted Groups and containing Source GPOs that are generating errors.

3.             Remove unresolved accounts from Group Policy

a.             Start -> Run -> MMC.EXE

b.             From the File menu select "Add/Remove Snap-in..."

c.              From the "Add/Remove Snap-in" dialog box select "Add..."

d.             In the "Add Standalone Snap-in" dialog box select "Group Policy" and click "Add"

e.             In the "Select Group Policy Object" dialog box click the "Browse" button.

f.              On the "Browse for a Group Policy Object" dialog box choose the "All" tab

g.             For each source GPO identified in step 2, correct the specific User Rights or Restricted Groups that were flagged with a red X in step 2. These User Rights or Restricted Groups can be corrected by removing or correcting any references to the problem accounts that were identified in step 1.


Following the alert, I find that I have no winlogon.log file. 



It can be enabled by following these steps.

  1. Run Regedit.exe
  2. Locate the following key:
    1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GPExtensions\{827D319E-6EAC-11D2-A4EA-00C04F7 9F83A}
  3. Edit the value to Value data: 2

Now that the logging is enabled run the command from the event viewer 1202:

FIND /I "Cannot find"  %SYSTEMROOT%\Security\Logs\winlogon.log



Running the following command can trace a certain user to the policy:

FIND /i "Ctx_SmaUser" %SYSTEMROOT%\security\templates\policies\gpt*.*

An easier way to find the GPO in question is to run RSOP.MSC and you can find the accounts where the errors are under. This will also show the source GPO easier than the find command.




I found in the Default Domain Policy that the accounts were in Log on as a batch job and Log on as a service section and needed to be removed.  After these accounts were removed the warnings went away for good.